Sunday, April 28, 2013

April 26, 2013



Today I

Turned a Skirt
into a Dress

Over a decade ago someone gave me a skirt that was too big for me, but the fabric had a great pattern. I wanted to turn it into a dress, but until very recently had absolutely no sewing skills.

Having been inspired by the New Dress A Day blog (and now book), I decided to finally break out the skirt and do something with it. The elastic had been removed from the top so I just added two black grosgrain ribbon straps. Instead of taking in the dress (which may still happen later), I chose to place the ribbons where they would form a cowel neck with the extra material. To give it a more finished look, I liquid stitched more ribbon around the neckline and hemline. Since it is still unfitted, I’ll belt it with either the same ribbon or liven it up with something more colorful.

It took ten years to think about and around two hours to do. Ridiculous, right? Fortunately, I started this blog to be more productive. Now I have a new dress.

I’ll post before and after photos soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment