Wednesday, April 24, 2013

April 23, 2013



Today I

Made Baby Food

I never thought I’d be one to make baby food. Let’s face it, I’d rather not cook for the adults in the house most of the time. But it turns out, it is incredibly easy to make food for Max.

It goes like this: Buy a sweet potato. Bake a sweet potato. Stick said sweet potato in blender.

I haven’t really done it to save money (though it does and I should) or to make sure “only the purest of pure foods touch my sweet baby’s lips” and blah blah blah. I do it because it is easy, tastes good, and forces me and my husband to eat our veggies as well.

To date, we’ve tried the aforementioned sweet potato, avocado, carrots, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, butternut squash, zucchini, yellow squash, spinach, blueberries, apples, and bananas. He didn’t seem to care for avocado or carrots so we’ll reintroduce them later. But for now, I’m having fun experimenting with new foods. Until last month, I had no idea what a spaghetti squash was. Last night, it was the main course for me and the hubs.

Today consisted of making the following: peas, spinach, sweet potato, apples, and blueberries. The sweet potato went in the oven, the peas and spinach (both frozen) went in the microwave, and the apples and blueberries were cooked on the stove. I pureed all but the sweet potato (to try out a thicker texture) and put them in ice cube trays to harden for a while before storing them in freezer bags. The whole process took about an hour and a half and would have been greatly reduced had I bought larger apples. Peeling four tiny apples was ridiculous. Lesson learned.

Fortunately, only my very first attempt was a kitchen catastrophe when I quickly found out that the blender was not screwed in completely. I was finding pureed sweet potato for days! (See below) Since then, clean up has been relatively simple.    

Yes. Those are my clothes on the floor. I had to strip down before I could walk on the carpet. 
 






1 comment: